Code of Conduct
This is the Code of Conduct for Type Electives: It serves as a statement of our values. It enables a foundation for our community to establish mutual trust, respect, and support of one another.
When you engage with Type Electives as a student, faculty, guest, or participant, you agree to following the community rules and standards outlined below.
We are committed to collaboration and continuous improvement. Please write to us with feedback on how we can improve at email@example.com.
What Type Electives Expects of Community Members
As a community, we expect all individuals to work and collaborate together through the social rules and expectations that are outlined below. These are ideals that we hold ourselves accountable to, and allow us to form an environment of comfort, safety, and celebration for all.
- Be Respectful. Practice patience, care, and active listening. Ask for consent before giving advice to others.
- Honor Different Points of Views. We are all unique individuals coming from diverse backgrounds. Honor and value everyone’s lived experiences and their truths.
- Build Together. Be open to sharing your process, thoughts, and ideas with your classmates. We all have valuable perspectives to share with one another.
- Seek Areas for Growth. Be open with the idea of self-improvement, and approach discussions with curiosity. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Discomfort can be an opportunity for personal and creative growth.
- Acknowledge Mistakes. Accept feedback gracefully when your actions have a negative impact on others. Acknowledge their experiences and use it as an opportunity for growth.
- Respect Privacy. Please refrain from taking or posting photographs and recordings of fellow classmates and community members outside of class without asking first. This extends to their work and links that are only shared within a classroom environment.
- Lift Up Others. A supportive community is made up of people who celebrate each other and their work.
The following types of behavior are unacceptable within Type Electives, both online and in-person, and constitute code of conduct violations.
- Harassment – including written or verbal slurs, attacks, and discrimination related to gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or other denominations of belief, opinion, and faction; as well as sexual or violent images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual or romantic attention.
- Threats – threatening or attacking someone or a group of individuals physically or verbally. For example, threatening to publicize sensitive information about someone’s personal life or identity; or direct support or intimidation of violence.
- Spam – including any attempt to clutter or derail authentic written or verbal conversation, such as unsolicited advertisements, trolling, and excessive message flooding.
Type Electives directors are responsible for clarifying and enforcing our standards of acceptable behavior and will take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any behavior that is deemed inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.
In addition, directors are responsible for adhering to the Code of Conduct and applying the same standards to their own behavior.
Scope of Enforcement
Community members are held to the standards outlined in this code of conduct when participating in our classes, attending events, and using provided video and text messaging tools.
Additionally, the code of conduct will be enforced to the best of our abilities when violations occur involving those members outside of our spaces—for example: on social media, in email threads, and during in-person meetings. Unacceptable or inappropriate behavior exhibited by students, teachers, directors, and guests may lead to the consequences described above.
When in doubt, please report unacceptable behavior to us. If someone’s behavior outside of Type Electives makes you feel unsafe within Type Electives, letting us know will help us to proactively prevent harassment and discomfort within our spaces.
What happens after a report
If we witness or receive a report about unacceptable or inappropriate behavior, we will contact the perpetrator to have a conversation with them and verify what has transpired.
Unacceptable behavior will result in removal from the Type Electives community for an indefinite period of time. All associated accounts will be deactivated, and they will not be welcome within any digital or in-person spaces hosted by Type Electives.
If the behavior is deemed inappropriate (but not to the degree of unacceptable), we will contact the individual/s involved to explain why their behavior was unacceptable, how to correct it, and warn them that repeated code of conduct violations will result in removal from the community as described above.
If you see a violation of our code of conduct, please report it to Type Electives directors or faculty or use our reporting form.
Every individual is responsible for making Type Electives a safe and welcoming space. Faculty and directors are not always present in interactions, so we cannot enforce the code of conduct without your help.